Saturday, November 11, 2006

Furry Friends will Still Dominate

Capitol One, the credit card company, is planning to settle the issue once and for all. The winner of its mascot contest (http://www.capitalonebowl.com/) will be announced on New Year's Day. Sadly, the inflate-a-Rockie didn't make the cut. But one thing is for sure, furry mascots are given as the "unsung heroes" of the mascot world--not those hot air balloons.

The field was narrowed to twelve for this contest. Check here for the latest scoop on this contest. http://www.creditcards.com/fur-flies-in-competition-for-capital-one-national-mascot-of-the-year.php

Maybe Rockie can get some pointers from these guys. Notice that Lil' Red or Herbie Husker aren't in the line up. I wonder what a Testudo is?!

8 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

A Testudo is not on the Taco Bell menu, but instead, the Latin word for Tortoise.

I almost wish we were the Toledo Testudos...I collect turtles and would love to have a Toledo Testudo T-shirt and Tumbler.

2:36 PM  
Blogger MikeP said...

Latin for tortoise? OK, we will add that to the book I am writing of things that Shelly has a story about. So how is a turtle different from a tortoise? Is svengali Latin for anything?

9:07 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

You call yourself a PROFESSOR?
I thought that everyone knew that the word "turtle" comprises all reptiles from the family Testudines--both aquatic and terrestrial species. The word TORTOISE refers to the terrestrial species.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Svengali is an invented American word--first appearing in the book Trilby, which incindentally, the neighborhood Trilby in Toledo is named for. Svengali is the evil man with the handlebar mustache who pursues the heroine, Trilby...
The dictionary refers to a svengali as an evil oppressor.. The latin word for evil is "malum".
and the verb to oppress is conjugated: opprimo oppressi oppressum So, put that in your book, too.

11:06 AM  
Blogger MikeP said...

Well, technically I call myself a Senior Lecturer.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Senior Lecturer--SENIOR is right. I HATE both terms. We don't LECTURE. OK, I do--but not at WORK! I just lectured a Mike about the evils of Internet gambling, and I lecture my teenager every day, but she blocks me out.

I prefer adjunct. It sounds like "adverb," which sounds English-y.

12:17 PM  
Blogger MikeP said...

Adjunct sounds like some kind of add-on. As if you were just a blow up mascot that goes along with the real mascot, but then you are deflated and stored when you aren't needed.

11:16 AM  
Blogger MikeP said...

Hey Michelle:

Go this website. You can adopt a virtual pet turtle! I did. I named mine Michael!

http://bunnyherolabs.com/adopt/

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home