Friday, October 27, 2006

Our Mission

If Bowling Green State University can be progressive enough to offer two mascots to the mascot-loving crowd: Freddie and Freida Falcon, then certainly we at the University of Toledo, miles north of Bowling Green in so many aspects, should get aquainted with our feminine side.

The mission of this blog campaign is to draw attention to the void in not only Rocky's life, but in the University of Toledo's school-spirit(ual) life that could and should be filled if only a female mascot could join Rocky at the Glass Bowl, in John F. Savage Hall, and on lonely road trips.

I may divert from the mission to offer mascot facts, anecdotes, and semiotic analysis (I use mascots when I teach semiotic analysis to my students in my composition/rhetoric courses). Further, I may dip in to the archives and trace the pictoral history of Rocky as I have been promising/threatening to do for several years.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Another colleague, who shall remain nameless, posed a similar question. Actually, he accused me of making assumptions about Rocky's gender identity and sexual orientation.

I replied, as I shall here, that he is assuming that Rocky and his female alter-ego are a couple. They could be brother and sister, mother and child, friends (males and females can be friends without being "involved," or as you say, the female Rocky could be transgendered.

6:11 AM  
Blogger MikeP said...

Couples don't have to be gender compliments, do they? There is plenty of room for ying/yang sets that do not have to be about sex. I just wish I could remember the name of that college that has the two mascots, one is a big red and the other is a little red or something like that. Do you know which one I am trying to recall? I think it was the same school that Pamela Anderson's ex-guy went to for that hilarious Back To School reality show. What was his name, some washed up rocker guy, but not from KISS. [Because we all know KISS is sacred.]I'm definitely not having instant recall today. Sorry.

9:20 AM  
Blogger MikeP said...

How could anyone forget Pamela Anderson, Baywatch star, and also the star of "Stacked"--why did they take that off the air? Don't we need a little more literary entertainment? So this Tommy Lee plays music you say?

The point was to look up the mascots from Nebraska because they have two, same gender, but different characters. The one is called Little Red. But the other is Cornhusker or something.

Maybe Rockie the Rocket could be paired up with Guzzlie the fuel canister.

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home